Our Weighted Grey Comfort Bunny by Snugglesense© is recommended by Occupational Therapists and Psychologists to act as a calming aid for babies, children, teens and adults. All our bunnies are handmade with love in Johannesburg, South Africa.
Benefits of the SnuggleSense© Weighted Comfort Bunny
These Weighted Comfort Bunnies use proprioception to help children with modulation difficulties as well as children who just seek some comfort in their day-to-day lives. Proprioception is the input the receptors in the brain receive from muscles and joints in the body. The weight of these Comfort Bunnies stimulate these receptors which has a calming effect on the nervous system. Teens and adults can also benefit from the Weighted Comfort Bunny to assist in grounding difficult emotions.
The weight of the Weighted Comfort Bunny needs to match the needs of your little one, toddler and teen. It is recommended that the weight shouldn’t exceed 13% of the child’s body mass. The following are only general guidelines, depending on your child’s physical development and needs, and recommendations may differ. The Weighted Bunny weighs approximately 600g.
0.6kg: 0-1 year old (NB – Please observe safe sleeping practices at all times)
1kg: 1-2 year old
1.2kg: 2-4 year old
2kg: 4+ year old
Different Uses for the SnuggleSense© Weighted Comfort Bunny
At Home for babies to teens
- Big bear hugs for the Comfort Bunny could help resolve and support your child or teen during a meltdown
- Cuddling in bed to help a your child/teen calm to sleep
- Sitting on your child’s lap in the car after an overwhelming day at school
- Sit on your child or teen’s lap or shoulder when he or she needs to concentrate during homework or studying
- After break or recess to calm down and refocus
- They help your child focus during tests or other anxiety provoking tasks
- To assist in calming your child down after an emotional melt down
- They improve your child’s focus during loud or busy lessons
- To help contain a child that struggles to sit still
- During times for children who are sensitive to noise or touch
- The Weighted Comfort Bunny is a wonderful source of proprioception and deep pressure therapy during OT sessions
- The Weighted Comfort Bunny is also easily integrated into a sensory diet
Weighted objects are also used by Psychologists to act as a transitional object for teens and adults to support emotional regulation, present focus and grounding of anxious experiences.
In addition, Babies and Toddlers can benefit so much from sensory play. Sensory play stimulates any of your child’s senses and developed their brain while influencing how your child learns about the world. Other reasons sensory play is beneficial for children include the following. Sensory play:
- helps to build nerve connections in the brain
- encourages the development of motor skills
- supports language development
- encourages ‘scientific thinking’ and problem solving
- can involve mindful activities which are beneficial for all children
Babies develop and learn to make new connections in their brain when they play. Sensory play therefore supports language development and helps babies to learn more about the world around them. Language development is the foundation of all further education and learning going forward and Babies can enjoy simple sensory play such as touching different objects and surfaces and hearing how different materials create varied sounds.
Toddlers also love to explore their environment through their senses and delight in discovering their own ability. A sensory toy like the Pink Weighted Bunny brings the environment closer to support emotional regulation and adjustment for your child. Through sensory play, your child can learn to block out the unimportant noise and focus on tasks that are important.
Comfort or Traditional Objects
Transitional Objects in the entire SnuggleSense© range assists in emotional development and adjustment for babies and toddlers alike. A comfort or transitional object like a security blanket is an item used to provide psychological comfort. This is especially useful in unusual situations, or at bedtime for children. These objects may take the form of a blanket, a stuffed animal, or a favourite toy, and toddlers may give their love-object a special nickname.
Our SnuggleSense© Weighted Bunnies are especially designed to support your little one in mental, physical and emotional development. Come and play with us 🙂
Because every bunny is handmade, some shape and appearance variations may occur. Each bunny is approximately 30cm tall, consists of 4 different textures and is as cuddly as bunnies can be!